Choosing best slowpitch softball bats is a pretty difficult task given the fact that there is a very large selection out there but with a bit of guidance and the right information you will find your bat.
Just like with the other softball bats, you need to pay attention to a few important criteria before finding the one bat that will serve you for the next games.
Slow Pitch Softball Bats usually have a 2 ¼ inch barrel in diameter and a length of 34 inches. Of course that these are standard dimensions and producers can play with an inch or two in length. The weight is also something producers like to play with but the variations should be always between 26oz to 30oz.
As most softball bats, the slowpitch bats are made out of aluminum and / or composite materials but they can also be made from Wood, Half and Half (usually means aluminum and composite materials in one single bat). Of course that producers can play with the materials too so if you find a different slowpitch softball bat than you don’t have to worry that it’s not good. Just check to be approved by the League you are playing into.
The best use for a slowpitch softball bat is in competitive or recreational leagues and they are used by both male and female players. They are made for all ages and skills.
Types of Slowpitch Softball Bats
There are a few types of slowpitch softball bats that you can chose from according to your needs.
One piece and Two piece
As the name says, the one piece is made out of a single type of material when the two piece bat is made out of a combination of material to maximize flexibility and improve the swing. In the latest slow pitch softball bat reviews, players tend to lean more over the two piece bats. Still if you are a big player and you don’t need any help from the bat, then the one piece will give you the entire thrill you need.
Alloy, Composite or Hybrid
You can choose your best slowpitch softball bat by choosing the material that works for you. Alloy bats are usually a one piece bat made of aluminum or aluminum mixed with other materials which leads to a strong bat (little or no flexibility though). Composite bats are a mixture of carbon fiber, graphite, fiberglass and even Kevlar. There are Leagues that don’t agree with composite bats because they may help the players just a little too much. The best combination though is the hybrid bat, made out of an alloy barrel and a composite handles. This allows the handle to overtake the vibrations of the barrel and the barrel is more flexible.
Single wall and Double wall
This refers to the barrel. Bats that have double or multiple walls are considered to have a greater trampoline effect which is very helpful if you are not a power hitter. A multi wall construction also offers a greater hardness as the walls make the barrel thicker. Well, this all sounds great, but there are many Leagues that don’t accept multi wall bats so you must check the regulations before buying one.
Balanced, Endload or Maxload
A balanced bat has its weight evenly distributed all over its length and this is the best slowpitch softball bat you could have. Still there are players that prefer Endload bats meaning the weight is not evenly distributed. The bat is heavier near the end cap. The Maxload bat has more weight at the end. These two types of bats should be used by experienced softball players who love a good power hit.
These bats are not as common as the ones made form aluminum or composite material. The main wood used is bamboo and the next right after it is maple. The wood bats are very durable and they can be used to play at high performance games but there are illegal in some Leagues.
Advantages of using the Best Slow Pitch Softball Bats
The advantages are the same as when you use a regular softball bat:
- An improved game
- A better swing
- Possibility to make performance
- Harder and longer hits for children and players who don’t have that much power in their arms
- Durability and resistance to great force hits
- The possibility to impress your family and friends with an amazing game
Anyways, before getting all these advantages you need to choose the best bat and this you can do buy testing a few of them and reading slowpitch softball bat reviews from people who already bought a specific bat.
How to Choose the Best Slowpitch Softball Bat?
Well finding the right slowpitch softball bat can be an exhausting task as there are so many models out there. The best way to choose one is to analyze your body and needs first.
- Weight and length are extremely important. Slow pitch bats usually come with a 2 ¼ inch barrel (in diameter) and they are 34 inches long. The weight is the one that varies the most from 26oz to 30oz. The 28oz to 30oz bats are for bigger players who have a strong hit and the 26oz to 27oz are for smaller players
- Weight distribution is also extremely important in choosing the best slowpitch softball bat. There are balanced bats which have their weight evenly distributed all along the barrel and there are Endload and Maxload bats which are heavier at one end. The best bat for all players out there is a balanced bat but if you are experienced and looking for a challenge the Endload or the Maxload bats can bring it to you.
2014 – 2015 Best Slowpitch Softball Bat Reviews
1. Miken Psycho ASA Composite Slowpitch One Piece Maxload Softball Bat
The Miken Psycho ASA is a bat that offers an extra Endload for more power so it’s not recommended for beginners or players who need an even weight to make a good swing. This amazing bat features:
- A change of performance in the game due to premium materials used to produce it
- It’s part of a high performance series
This is the type of bat that will take your game to the next level. Still if you don’t know how to break it in then don’t expect to get much out of it. This bat needs to be worked hard before allowing you to enjoy the benefits it brings into your game. Definitely one of the best slow pitch softball bats of the moment!
2. Miken Izzy Psycho Supermax USSSA Slowpitch Softball Bat
Another bat made for performance in the game which features:
- super maximum Endload
- stiff handle especially designed for power hitters
- unmatched durability and easy to break in (almost 100 hits according to people who bought it)
According to slow pitch softball bat reviews from people who use this bat, it is not forgiving. The sweet spot is small which forces you to improve your game. After a few days of practice you will be able to tell if this is the bat that will take up to the next level or performance.
3. Reebok 2011 Melee Legend Max 34-Inch Sr. League Slow Pitch Bat
One of the best slowpitch softball bats in 2014, the Reebok 2011 Melee Legend features the following:
- A very good end load weight for a professional swing
- Amazing performance and durability brought in by the composite materials and technology of construction
- Reebok built their own handle which provides a plus of comfort an control over the bat
- Very strong and designed for power hitters
The design, building technique and materials make this bat one of the greatest you could own. It may be a bit expensive but, as a professional player, you already know that high quality comes with a price in softball. Anyways, the bat is worth every cent.
4. Louisville Slugger 2012 TPS Warrior Slow Pitch Softball Bat
This is a more forgiving bat, designed to boost your game and performance. This is the type of bat you need to get prepared for the bats we reviewed up until now. The sweet spot is big and long adding power to your hit.
- 12 inch barrel and end cap
- synthetic grip and a standard handle
- ASA, USSSA, NSA, ISF, and ISA approved
5. DeMarini F5 Slowpitch Softball Bat
The DeMarini bats are well known for their high quality and attention to details. The DeMarini F5 is a revolutionary bat. There were gathered a few technologies designed to help players hit stronger and further. For example:
- The Composite material weave helps in creating a big trampoline effect
- X10 Double Barrel Wall technology for an extra springboard effect
- C6 Composite Handle for a maximum handle performance in the hands of the player
- A maximum sweet spot with strong (yet thinnest) aluminum walls
- N2M End Cap is provides a new technology that allows the barrel to absorb vibration while maximizing the hit power
Most slow pitch softball bat reviews for this bat are positive and people love it for its great pop and the fact that it doesn’t need much break in. You can star with it in a game just after a few practice hits! The bat has a big contact area and the biggest sweet spot you can imagine on a bat.
6. DeMarini Flipper Slow Pitch Bat
This bat was created for powerful hitters who absolutely love to mash that ball. The new Improved Divergence Technology used on this DeMarini bat extends the sweet spot horizontally around the barrel which gives you greater chance to hit the ball just right.
This is the best slowpitch softball bat to enhance your game as fast as possible. It is not recommended for beginners though and if you don’t like stiff bats it’s better to move on to something else. They are created for strong players who like to mash the ball when the bat hits it.
7. Miken Ultra II SSUSA Bat
This is one of the best slowpitch softball bats that a senior softball player could own. It might be a bit expensive but the quality and performance improvement it brings in your life are unmatched by anything else.
The people at Miken used the Miken’s E-Flex Ultra Technology to maximize performance with this bat. They managed to give it a great sweet spot due to the new technologies they used. The bat is 100% made out of composite materials and is illegal in all leagues that are not for seniors.
The bat is made for professionals only and it offers you an amazing pop as soon as you get it on the field. You will feel the difference from the first time you hit the ball with it.
According to slowpitch softball bat reviews that players made for this bat you are offered competitiveness, performance and the possibility to make a great game after just a few things. And all of these come in one bat!
After reading all these reviews and looking into the best slowpitch softball bats we realized that they are really something amazing. Manufacturers really put their best ideas and technologies in making the best bats ever. With the new research and systems, these bats offer everything a senior softball player needs: great pop, good sweet spot, strong hit, good grip and protection from vibrations.
The slowpitch softball bats are produced for every age and level of skills but only the greatest players will get to use the really good stuff in the field.
Regardless of your age and level of skills in softball if you like it and want to play there will be definitely a bat for you out there. So go on, and start looking for it!