Exercise always feels like such a chore, doesn’t it? Go to the gym, find a spot for your car, avoid inclement weather and of course at the end of the month, you’re still stuck with the gym fees regardless of the number of days you actually went.
Fortunately, fitness doesn’t always need to be such a mammoth task and a time-suck on top of it. Like the best of things, it can begin right at home. In this, you’re not alone! More than two-thirds of Americans on their way to leaner and fitter bodies choose to do so in the privacy of their own homes. And it all starts with the simple treadmill.
Top treadmill manufacturers aren’t ignorant to this trend, and they offer a whole host of treadmill machines with varying degrees of features and capabilities. The best ones can go for above $4000. But fret not! We’re here to help you choose the best one for your needs and make sure that it doesn’t spend the majority of its lifetime sitting in the garage, collecting dust.
The 10 Top Rated Treadmills
|1.||Sole Fitness F85 Folding Treadmill||Sole||$$$$||5|
|2.||Weslo Cadence G 5.9 Treadmill Series||Weslo||$$||4.9|
|3.||LifeSpan TR1200i Folding Treadmill||Life Span Fitness||$$$$||4.8|
|4.||Confidence Power Plus 600W Motorized Electric Folding Treadmill||Confidence||$$$||4.7|
|5.||ProForm Power 995i Treadmill||ProForm||$$$$||4.6|
|6.||Horizon Fitness T101-04||Horizon Fitness||$$$$||4.5|
|7.||ProForm Pro 2000 Treadmill||ProForm||$$$$||4.4|
|8.||Sunny Health & Fitness Treadmill||Sunny Health & Fitness||$$||4.3|
|9.||Precor TRM 211 Energy Series Treadmill||Precor||$$$$||4.2|
|10.||Gold’s Gym Trainer 720 Treadmill||Gold’s Gym||$$$$||4.1|
Our Best Treadmill Reviews
1. Weslo Cadence G 5.9 Treadmill Series
This one from Weslo is our pick of choice for the best budget treadmill on the market today. What works for it is the space saving foldable design and a number of other nifty features like a 2-position incline, cushioning for added comfort and personal trainer workouts, all this on top of the unbelievably small price tag. If you’re looking for a basic treadmill which does what it’s meant to do and does it well, then this is definitely the one for you.
- Heart Rate Monitor – A pulse sensor is built into the display, and all you need to do to measure your heart rate is put your thumb on top of the pulse sensor.
- Comfort Cushioning – The running belt is outfitted with a layer of cushioning underneath it, to absorb most of the pressure from your stride. This significantly reduces stress on joints and makes for a much more pleasant experience.
- Six Personal Trainer Workouts – These different training programs of varying intensity, take care of the mathematics and logistics behind your weight loss goals all by themselves by automatically deciding on a speed or an incline, depending on your ultimate workout goals.
- The LCD display used in this model, although very crisp and clear provides few details about your training progress. It displays your speed, distance, time, calories burnt in a priority display on a blue-tinted LCD panel. But as far the price-tag goes, you can’t really can’t expect much more on the display panel from a product so inexpensive.
2. LifeSpan TR1200i Folding Treadmill
This is our pick of choice for a deluxe treadmill which is also relatively inexpensive. When it comes to value for money, this product simply can’t be beaten. A large 20-inch by a 56-inch running surface, along with the presence of several shock absorbers provide for a very soothing running experience, never putting undue pressure on your joints, back or knees. The multicolored LCD display keeps track of all your vital stats and even allows for saving it onto a USB drive. The treadmill supports a maximum weight of 350 pounds and a maximum thrust of 800 pounds.
- It features 21 different exercise programs of varying intensity and with specific objectives like weight loss or healthy living or sports training or even various heart rate programs. The different workout programs include different incline and speed settings, custom user-defined settings, body mass analysis programs and also heart rate control programs. Once you set the desired heart rate, the console gets to work maintaining that target heart rate using the recordings from your grip pulse or your chest strap.
- A 2.75 horsepower continuous motor powers the treadmill and provides for speeds ranging from 0.5 to 12 miles per hour and also supports 15 different incline levels. The best feature here, however, is the inclusion of speed and incline buttons on the handlebars themselves, thereby letting you adjust the speed and incline without even removing your hands.
- The console offers a dual color backlit display and is fairly advanced showing all the vital essentials like time, distance, calories burnt and also additional details like current incline, heart rate, BMI, etc. It even displays a matrix, with all the details in one convenient screen.
- It is one of the more stable and durable treadmills you can buy with the steel-welded frame and aluminum handlebars. The belt is dual-ply and also includes 2.5-inch ground rollers in the front and 2-inch ones in the back. All this, along with a total of 8 bumpers in the deck suspension provide for superior stability.
- The frame and motor are backed with a lifetime warranty, the parts themselves have a three-year warranty, and it also features a 1-year labor warranty.
- This product is pretty heavy and large, even when it’s folded. It weighs around 220 pounds and the dimensions when folded are 39 inches lengthwise by 35 inches breadth by 64 inches in height. All this makes for a pretty heavy package.
- It requires manual assembly. Although assembly is easy and there is a detailed instruction booklet on how to go about it, because of the size of the parts involved, it might prove a little tedious.
3. Sole Fitness F85 Folding Treadmill
This one from Sole is our pick of choice from the best treadmill of 2021 and with excellent reasons. From stability to the quality of make to special features and usability, this premier product from Sole scores top marks in every aspect. This one is also the flagship model in the Sole series and has garnered unanimously favorable reviews from users across America.
The F85 treadmill runs on a highly efficient 4.0 CHP, DC powered motor and features an exceptionally wide 22-inch running surface which should suffice for all runners, regardless of their height and build. It can go up to speeds of 12 mph and inclines up to 15%.
- It features six standard programs, two user-defined programs, and two heart-rate controlled programs. The heart-rate program has the added functionality of calculating your target range based on your age, thereby ensuring you never go overboard and also exercise in the most efficient way possible.
- Superior Quality Craftsmanship – The steel frames used in its construction are all powder coated and immensely durable. The industrial strength motor is backed up by large, zinc-coated flywheels which provide a completely vibration free and stable running deck. The dual-ply belts have four layers, including rubber, PVC, and nylon. The rubber provides strength, the PVC prevents over-stretching, and the nylon lends a smooth, bump-free surface. The rollers are sufficiently large at 2.75 inches each and provide for smooth gliding of the belt over them.
- Comfort – This treadmill offers several features intended to make the experience more enjoyable and seem less of a chore. Convenient controls along the sides of the LCD panel and on the handlebars allow for quick adjustment of speed, training programs or the incline in the middle of a workout. A cushioning technology on the deck keeps workouts quiet, comfortable and also reduces stride impact up to 40%. On top of all this, inbuilt cooling fans and speakers which you can hook up to any mp3 player provide for a very pleasant experience.
- A 9-inch LCD display provides crystal-clear stats of all sorts, along with graphs with peaks and lows. There is also an integrated message board which sends alphanumeric scrolling messages to the user, to guide them through the whole process. The message board also recaps the entire workout upon completion, serving as a record of your progress.
- The frame, motor, and deck are covered by a lifetime warranty. The Electronics have a 5-year warranty, and there is also a labor warranty of two years.
- Slightly on the more expensive side, as is expected with a product of this quality and with so many special features. If you are willing to dish out a few extra bucks for a top-quality treadmill, rest assured, you will not be disappointed with this one.
What Is A Treadmill?
A treadmill is a piece of exercise equipment that is designed for indoor walking or running. It has a moving belt, can be set on an incline to mimic walking uphill, and is typically equipped with a control panel that keeps track of your fitness stats.
A treadmill, the most popular of indoor exercise devices is simply, a device for walking, running or jogging while staying in the same place. The machine provides a moving platform like a conveyor belt which moves to the rear, thereby requiring you to run at a pace matching that or higher than that of the conveyor belt. Modern treadmill machines even offer separate customizable speeds and inclines depending on your exercise requirements.
As far as exercise equipment goes, treadmills are one of the easiest to use. And if you’re the type of person who worries about uneven terrain or has trouble walking uphill, the treadmill’s surface is flat and predictable. You don’t have to worry about curbs, trails or sidewalks. Part of the reason why people love treadmills so much is because they’re easy to use.
What Are The Advantages Of Using A Treadmill?
Going to a gym every month can be expensive, and after a long day on the job, you might not feel like driving across town to your gym to work out. If you want to walk, jog, or sprint outdoors, you may not be able to as often as you like during the cold winter, blazing hot summer, or rainy days. A treadmill allows you to get the same great workout you’d get at a gym right in the comfort of your own home. Since it’s used indoors, you can use it anytime, even if the weather is terrible.
The first and foremost advantage of an indoor exercise device, is you do not need to concern yourself with outdoor conditions like traffic or the weather or pollution. You’re also running on a machine and not on the streets outside, which may have potholes and cracks which are liable to cause you injury.
- Weight Loss – The primary reason people invest in a treadmill is for burning calories by running, thereby leading to weight loss. The faster and longer you run, the more calories you burn and consequently, the more weight you lose.
- Cardio – Treadmills provide an intense cardiovascular workout and are immensely beneficial to heart health. Every time you work out on a treadmill, your heart grows stronger, and your blood pressure gets lowered. This also helps in reducing stress and protects against bad cholesterol.
- Better Muscle Tone – Treadmills are also good for strengthening and toning your calve muscles, buttocks, and quadriceps.
- Smoother Movement of Joints – Treadmills keep your joints moving and flexible. If you suffer from arthritis, it is an excellent way to relieve pain and keep yourself healthy.
- Convenience – Lastly, treadmills offer you most of the benefits of the gym in the comfort and tranquility of your own home. No need to stick to gym timings, no need to make the commute to the gym and no gym fees neither. It’s entirely up to you decide how much and how often you want to exercise. If you’re working towards a fitness goal, it’s also important you keep track of your progress, and to this end, most treadmills display vital statistics like distance traveled, time elapsed, calories burnt and heart rate.
What Are The Different Types of Treadmills?
The most common motorized treadmills on the market today can be broadly categorized into these three groups. This classification has been done on the basis of price, features, and fold-ability of the treadmills.
Budget Fold-able Treadmills
These budget models tend to have a smaller running platform and also have fewer features as compared to the more expensive variants. They typically include a display which shows stats on speed, time and distance and calories burnt. They usually do not include chest strap-ons for monitoring your heart rate or heart-rate control software.
If your primary goal is to only run without the aid of specialized software for personal, specific objectives, these models should be sufficient. Mind you, because of the cheaper price-tag, the material used in the make tends to be lighter and less stable. Also very often, the belt is not long enough for running and is intended primarily for walking or jogging.
These sort of fall in the middle between cheap, budget treadmills and more expensive professional ones for frequent runners.
How they differ from the budget ones is they usually feature a sturdier make, a longer running belt which does not wobble or make noises and more features on the display panel, including exercise programs and heart rate monitoring software.
The treadmill of choice for frequent runners, these models are ideally suited for extensive usage. They feature a stronger, much more stable and reliable running deck which is also a lot wider and longer than the fold-able variants.
Along with the extra wide and longer running surface, they also offer a host of other features like customizable inclines, higher maximum speeds, and also various heart rate monitoring programs. The more expensive models even feature mobile app connectivity, personalized training programs, console gadgetry even speakers and fans, a strap-on heart rate monitor and a tethered safety key which should stop the treadmill if you were to slip and fall.
Considerations for Choosing the Best Treadmill
Before you go out and spend your hard earned cash on a treadmill, it is important to sort out your requirements and figure out exactly what it is you want out of your treadmill.
Treadmills come in all shapes and sizes. Depending on whether you’ll be running or walking, you’ll need to decide on the size.
A 22-inch wide belt is recommended for running while a 20-inch wide belt should suffice for walking.
As far as length goes, a minimum of 50 inches is recommended for walking, 55 inches for running and 60 inches if you’re over 6 feet tall.
Your Workout Routine
Are you going to be leisurely walking or running with all the intensity you can muster? Will you be using your treadmill every day, multiple times a day or every once a while?
Well, depending on your frequency and intensity of usage, you should get a large, expensive model if you’re going to be using it every day. The more expensive model will provide you more space to run, will feature a sturdier base and also offer you a lot of insight into your training progress with its specialized software.
If you use it sparingly, then ideally you should look for a foldable one, which you can fold up and store when not in use. The lack of advanced features shouldn’t be too critical for you in that scenario.
Price And Features
Depending on the special features you would want on your treadmill, the price can vary from around $500 to more than $2000. The most important features you should consider are:
- An Automated Incline – Inclines help with increased calorie burn, and are easier on the joints and also support better muscle development.
- Workout Programs – Workout programs can range from very basic to exceptionally detailed as the price tag goes progressively higher. These programs may include wireless pulse monitors, strap-on heart monitors, WiFi support, touch screens and even multimedia access.
In parting, all of the treadmills reviewed above are great in their own ways. In deciding upon which to buy, your first consideration should be your budget. Once you have the budget agreed, you should focus on the size of the running deck. Longer running decks for running, shorter ones for walking.
When that is decided upon, your next consideration should be the speed and inclines at which the treadmill can run. After that, you may want to invest in a few special features which might make your daily workout all the more enjoyable. So without further ado, let’s get running!